Life energy is in constant pulsation in and around the body. Health is experienced when energy flows smoothly without significant blockage. When energy is unbalanced, pain and dis-ease arise.
Polarity Therapy, developed by Randolph Stone, DC, DO, is a system of gentle hand contacts supported by exercises, diet, and counseling, to find the blockages and release energy to normal flow patterns, and to maintain the Energy Field in an open, flexible condition.
Polarity, The Five Elements, and You
by Jill Henry. First published in Aquarius Magazine, Atlanta, GA
Who are you? Of course, you are Spirit - eternal, infinite, and universal. When Spirit enters a body, the energy becomes denser as it binds itself to earth plane. The Energy of Spirit appears as streams of consciousness. The ancients called them ETHER, AIR, FIRE, WATER, and EARTH. One or more of these streams (elements) dominate in us today.
Think about the last time you were with a group, and see if you can recognize each element in action. Sue sat quietly, observing, above it all. Someone called her spacey. Her ETHER element was strong! Joe was quick and alert. He came up with lots of ideas. A great inspiration to others, but most of the time he was just full of AIR. Jack was a go-getter, risk taker, and liked being boss. He suggested many creative projects. Sometimes quick tempered, direct, and aggressive, Jack burned with the FIRE of inner creativity. Mary used her deep, intuitive, emotional senses to tell everyone how she, and they, felt. Her WATER element focused on the emotions of the group. Sam came up with practical ways to accomplish all the ideas of others. He was solid, dependable and down to EARTH. We need all five of these personalities blended and in balance, in order to accomplish our goals in life.
The 5 Elements and your Mind-Body Type
- ETHER is the prime element latent in all things, providing space and balance for all elements to unfold. Ether is essential to our sense of connectedness with spirit and wellbeing. In the body, ether is space, particularly in the chest and joints. Out of balance, we have problems with our breathing, joint pain, and difficulties expressing ourselves. Balanced ether promotes our sense of joy and union. Lack of ether is connected with the feeling of grief and separateness.
- AIR is lightness and movement. On a still day we feel listless and heavy, while on a windy day we feel refreshed and enlivened. Air is associated with the east, a new day, and new beginnings. Air signs include: Gemini (shoulders and arms, lungs and respiration); Libra (kidneys); Aquarius (legs). Imbalances are seen as nervous exhaustion, panic attacks, headaches, gas, bronchitis, heart problems, neuralgia, and leg cramps. Balanced air promotes our sense of love, devotion, and compassion.
- FIRE is light and heat. Fire is transformative and is associated with willpower and creative force. Fire is connected with the south, the summer, and purification. Fire signs include: Aries (head); Leo (solar plexus); Sagittarius (thighs). Fire imbalances include headaches, eye disorders, digestive disorders, liver problems, pain and weakness of the legs. Too much fire results in sympathetic dominance or the typical type A personality ? stressed and burned-out! Unbalanced Fire shows as anger and resentment. Well-balanced fire is forgiveness and enthusiasm.
- WATER, the source of all life, formless and flowing. Water is associated with the west, the fall, the time to go deep and let our emotions flow. Water signs include: Cancer (breasts); Scorpio (genitals), and Pisces (feet). Imbalances show as breast tenderness and lumps, skin, menstrual, prostate problems and foot and back pain. Balanced water allows us to relax and let go, while unbalance reflects our attachment to worldly things.
- EARTH is dense, passive, the great provider. It has permanency and stability. Earth is associated with the north, winter, and material affairs. Earth signs include: Taurus (neck); Virgo (bowels); and Capricorn (knees). Balanced earth reflects in strong bones, active assimilation and elimination, and flexible necks. When unbalanced, fear takes over and we experience neck stiffness, constipation and weak bones (osteoporosis). Balanced we find courage and contentment.
Self-Help Ways to Balance your Elements
- USE YOUR IMAGINATION to bring elements into balance. To cool a "hot head", imagine floating in water. Generate new ideas by letting them soar in the clouds and then ground them by planting idea seeds deep in the earth.
- USE YOUR HANDS. Your right hand is your positive or giving hand. Your left hand is your negative or receiving hand. By placing your hands on your body opposite each other (front to back, side to side, or top to bottom) you automatically establish an energy flow between the positive and negative poles. Draw out inflammation by placing your left hand over the area and your right hand opposite it. Relax tight areas by placing your right hand over them to add healing life.
Description of a Polarity Session
Polarity Therapy Sessions are provided by Dr. Jill Henry, EdD, PT, APP in the Healing Room attached to the Otto Labyrinth Park Welcome Center in Otto, NC. We are located half way between Atlanta, GA and Asheville, NC in the Great Smoky Mountains.
During a polarity session, you remain fully clothed and lay on a comfortable surface. The practitioner will touch and press and find! tender points on your body, particularly the head, neck, shoulders, back, feet and hands. Gentle pressure is applied to each tender spot and its corresponding reflex area until the tension releases and the tissues relax. By gentle hand contacts, the practitioner releases energy flows in specific areas, similar to unblocking a water pipe filled with leaves. Once the flow is restored, the body,s own healing properties become more effective. The results of releasing tension in this comprehensive way are feelings of profound relaxation and well being at the conclusion of treatment. These feelings have been known to last for weeks or months even after just one session.
You may also be given a gentle polarity exercise home program. Exercises often include self-massage and gentle positioning to relieve stress and tension. On occasion, nutrition is discussed and a diet is recommended.
Dr. Henry practices Polarity Therapy and CranioSacral Therapy at Mountain Valley Center in Otto, North Carolina. She has successfully treated clients with a wide range of problems, from fibromalagia to frozen shoulders, from carcinoma to simple stress relief and pain cessation. Some of her clients are local, many come from surrounding areas, including Atlanta and Asheville.
- A one hour Polarity session is $65.00
Schedule your appointment by calling Toll Free at 888-773-2491
Polarity Therapy may help with the following conditions
- Chronic neck, shoulder, back pain
- Headaches and sinus problems
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Anxiety Disorders and Panic Attacks
- Frail elderly who lack energy
- General complaints of "not feeling well" for a long time (though no medical diagnosis can be made)
- Health oriented persons who want to remain healthy
- People with chronic colds, flu, and other indications of immune system depression
- People with chronic gas, constipation, bloating
- Sometimes helpful in arthritis pain relief
- Any condition in which stress appears a relevant factor
Jill's Professional Resume
For those of you who want just the facts, here's Jill's Resume
Jill Newman Henry. EdD, PT, APP
Mission - To explore, facilitate, and advance Well Being in individuals and organizations.
- University of Georgia, 1985-1988, Ed.D. Adult Education
- Medical College of Georgia, 1977-1980, M.H.Ed Health Education
- The Ohio State University, 1968-1972, B.S. Physical Therapy
- 2017 – Video Productions for Web Advertising and Education, Mountain Valley Center.com
- 2004-Present: Practicing Polarity Therapist and CranioSacral Therapist at Mountain Valley Center.com
- 1998 to present: Owner and Operator of Mountain Valley Center.com and the Otto Labyrinth Park, Otto, NC
- 2014 to present: Part Time, Saturday and PRN Physical Therapist Mountain Lakes Medical Center, Clayton, GA
- 2012-2014 – PRN Weekend Physical Therapist at Habersham County Medical Center.
- November 2010 to May 2012: Contract Physical Therapist at Mountain Lakes Medical Center to build and provide therapy services for both in-patient and out-patient rehabilitation, Clayton, GA
- August, 2008 to March, 2010 Part time/prn Contract Home Care Physical Therapist, Habersham County Medical Center, Habersham, GA Home Care in Rabun County, GA
- 2008-2010 Board of Directors, American Polarity Therapy Association
- May- August 2008 Staff Physical Therapist, Mountain View Skilled Nursing Facility, Clayton, GA
- 2004 – Author and Director for online course – Certified Facilitator of Adult Learning.
- 2004 Author, Energy SourceBook: The Fundamentals of Personal Energy (Llewellyn Worldwide Publishers) Energy SourceBook has been translated into 3 languages and received a nationwide award as one of best books in alternative health in 2005.
- 2000-2005 Evaluation Consultant: AGElink - Advancing Geriatric Education through Community Linkage: Dept. of Health and Human Services 1-D37-HP-00782-10 administered through Medical University of South Carolina. Charleston, SC
- 1997 - 1999 Grant Consultant. Administered through Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA., This 3 year grant, Multidisciplinary Instructional Modules (MIMS). Bureau of Health Professions Grant #1D37 AH 00542 involves the creation of teaching modules for faculty in Allied Health in areas of ethics, home health and hospice, prevention, geriatrics, rural health care, cultural differences and current issues.
- 1997 Physical Therapist, American Therapy Services, Britthaven of Franklin
- 1994 - 1996 Physical Therapist, Ridgecrest Hospital and Mountain Home Health, Clayton, GA. Home Health involved 4 Counties in North Georgi - Towns, Union, White, and Rabun.
- 1993 - 1994 Physical Therapist, Nova Care (specializing in Geriatric Rehabilitation), Augusta, GA
- 1989 - 1994 Owner, Resources for Well Being and The Relaxation Station. Provided Consultation in Total Quality Management to Augusta Business and Industry and Stress Management, Wellness consulting, meditation instruction to Augusta Community
- 1990-1991 Contract Consultant, School of Allied Health Sciences, Medical College of Georgia, Faculty Development Grant.
- 1989 - 1990 Faculty, Continuing Education Programs, Augusta College
- 1989 Consultant to Richmond County School Systems Board of Education
- 1986-1988 Director of Advanced Graduate Studies in Physical Therapy, Medical College of Georgia
- 1985 Promoted to Associate Professor, Medical College of Georgia
- 1984 Academic tenure awarded
- 1981-1988 Faculty, School of Graduate Studies, Medical College of Georgia.
- 1981-1988 Assistant Professor, Department of Physical Therapy, School of Allied Health Sciences, Medical College of Georgia and Academic Coordinator of Clinical Education
- 1977-1981 Instructor, Department of Physical Therapy, School of Allied Health Sciences, Medical College of Georgia and Academic Coordinator of Clinical Education
- 1976-1977 Assistant Chief, Physical Therapy Department, Eugene Talmadge Memorial Hospital, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia
- 1975 Contract Physical Therapist, Total Care Home Health Agency, Miami, Florida
- 1974-1976 Instructor, Physical Therapy Assistant Program, Miami-Dade Community College, Medical Center Campus, Miami, Florida.
- 1972-1974 Staff, Physical Therapist, Acting Assistant Supervisor (December 1972 - February 1974), Acting Supervisor (March - July l974), Physical Therapy Department, Parkway General Hospital, North Miami Beach, Florida.