Halite Salt Crystal Rock lamps are made from Himalayan Salt Crystals and are natural air ionizers. When the core of halite is hollowed out, and a light bulb placed inside, the result is a release of negative ions into the atmosphere. (A a negative ion is an electronically charged molecule made up of oxygen. A positive ion in the air is produced by cars, factories, heavy machinery, smoke, dust, soot and other pollutants and has lost its electrons.) Negative Ions clean the air of dust, pollen (grass, weed and tree pollen), dust mites, animal dander and mold spores. Even though they are not a “medical device”, Salt Crystal Lamps, by emitting negative ions, significantly reduce a myriad of indoor air pollutants. Negative ions have known benefits, and may provide relief from sinus, migraine headaches allergies and hay fever, reduce the severity of asthma attacks, enhance the immune system, increase alertness, increase work productivity and concentration, increase lung capacity and reduce susceptibility to colds and flu.
In our environment, negative ions can be found in concentrations of 10,000 per cubic centimeter on mountaintops, waterfalls, and by the sea, providing that invigorating, fresh air we enjoy. In major cities at rush hour the concentration may not even reach 100. Halite rock salt crystal lamps produce a stable emitting field of 500-900 negative ions in 1 cubic centimeter of surrounding air, increasing the negative ion count by up to 300%. Salt crystal lamps are important natural sources of negative ions. They balance and reverse the positive ions generated by heating and cooling systems, TV’s, computers, radios, transmitters, cell phones, automobile exhausts, cigarette smoke and other pollutants.
The impact of negative ions is powerful. Originally, it was found to speed recovery in burn or asthma patients, but was later discovered to affect serotonin levels in the bloodstream, stabilize alpha rhythms and to positively impact our reactions to sensory stimuli. The greater level of alertness can translate into improved learning, improved well being and enhanced human performance on mental tasks.
Salt Lamp Uses
- Allergy Sufferers… A Salt Crystal Lamp in your vicinity will help your wellness and keep the air around you clean, ionized naturally, and beautifully.
- Anywhere you want the air quality to be improved or preserved anywhere you want to create a cozy, relaxing, wellness environment anywhere you want to enjoy the beauty of nature.
- Office workers. A lamp at work can help improve your concentration and refresh you, neutralizing the effects of stress, artificial light and air environment.
- Massage rooms. A lamp or two in the massage room will greatly enhance and create a natural ionizing, calming, wellness environment and will also keep the air fresh.
- Convalescents. While you recover from an illness, a lamp by your bedside will be a comforting and healthy companion.
- Office desk, Computer users. Place a Salt Crystal Lamp near your computer to reduce fatigue, counter EMF (electro magnetic pollution) effects from equipment. The lamp will also minimize the effects of all that monitor radiation.
- Well accepted by Natural Health Practitioners. A Salt Crystal Lamp glowing in your consulting or treating room assists the healing process and adds to a calming environment.
- Parents, place a comforting Salt Crystal Lamp by your child’s bedside. It is a completely safe and lovely night light, and will enhance your child’s sleep, keeping the atmosphere clean.
- Feng Shui fans. A few Salt Crystal Lamps placed at strategic spots will enhance and clear the energy of the room.
- Meditators. When you repose in peace and quiet, a Salt Crystal lamp near you is known to enhance your meditative experience.
- Smokers. A few lamps around smoky areas will clear away those lingering smells faster.
How Does The Crystal Salt Lamp Clean The Air?
Remove pathogens (bacteria, virus, fungi), allergens (pollen, etc.) and other airborne irritants (smoke) from the room air. Salt has a natural affinity for water (H2O). We can readily see that by setting a bowl of salt out on the counter; it will absorb moisture (water vapor) from right out of the air in the room, which results in it caking together. This is why you so often find grains of rice mixed in with the salt in restaurants.
Himalayan Salt already contains minute amounts of water dispersed throughout the extremely fine crystal structure, but it is looking for more. When using a Himalayan Salt Crystal Lamp this affinity for water can be amplified many times in potency. The heat generated by the low wattage light bulb burning inside the Salt Crystal Lamp has the effect of turning on the crystal, so that it attracts the water vapor in the room at an even greater amount than when unlit. With the Lamp now drawing larger quantities of vapor towards itself, the vapor, and anything hitching a ride on it (such as bacteria or pollen, for example) will momentarily condensate on the surface of the Salt Crystal Lamp. This results in a microscopic pool of water, which then immediately dissolves the salt it contacts, forming a salt solution.
As a child, whenever we had a sore throat, what did our mother tell us to do? Gargle with salt water! Why? Because when the salt in the salt water came in contact with the bacteria causing our sore throat it would kill the bacteria. Well, that same process occurs at the microscopic level right on the surface of the lamp. Virtually any pathogen finding itself in the salt solution as a result of the condensation of the water vapor, will be neutralized or killed. Then, just as quickly, because the Lamp is warmer than the ambient air in the room, the water evaporates; the salt re-crystallizes, and the process continues, billions of times, over and over again.
It should be noted that the wattage of the light bulb used in your Himalayan Salt Lamp is selected to match the size, shape, and weight of the Lamp, in order to produce the best results. Too cool a light bulb (not enough watts) and the water will condensate, but not evaporate. The germs will die, but your Lamp will eventually melt (dissolve) over a long enough period of time. Too hot a bulb for the Salt Crystal Lamp and the water vapor will never be able to condensate on the surface. It is like Goldilocks, looking for the bulb that is just right. Fortunately, there is a wide range that works, but it is best to be in that range for optimal performance.