Feng Shui for Well Being
The Energy of Wind and Water
FENG SHUI FOR WELL BEING
Feng shui (pronounced fung shway) is the idea of living in harmony and balance with our environment and dates back over 7000 years. It is the study of energy (Chi) and how it's circulation affects people. The circulation of this invisible energy can be blocked or distorted by our environment, thus creating Shar Chi (or negative energy).
Feng shui may be approached on several levels.
1. Arrange your home, office, business for good circulation of Energy.
In arranging a room, 9 areas are noted to be of special significance. The following table, also known as a Baqua Map, illustrates the relationship of areas in a room (or home) in relation to the room's Main Entrance. Imagine dividing your room (home, office) into the following 9 areas, then place objects which reinforce the attributes of each area.
|WEALTH( purple) Southeast: Call in chi with fountains, crystals, mobiles||FAME (red) South, Fiery items: candles, incense||RELATIONSHIPS (pink) Southwest: Pairs of things: bookends, matching statues|
|HEALTH & FAMILY (green) East, Wood: Plants, flowers, living things||CENTER (yellow) : Quiet space for centering, meditation||CHILDREN, CREATIVITY (white) West, Metal: Whimsical items, crafts|
|KNOWLEDGE (blue-green) Northeast: Enhance personal reflection||CAREER (black) North, Water: Flowing water fountains, crystals||HELPFUL PEOPLE (gray) Northwest: Spiritual guidance, travel and helping|
|MAIN ENTRANCE (Use Entrance or Compass directions to view map)|
* Note: If using the Compass Method, disregard the "main entrance" and look at the room or building by Compass Directions.
2. Use "cures" to generate energy when the structure of the room or building prevents placement of above items.
- Bright Objects: Mirrors, Faceted Crystal balls, gems, lights, candles....
- Sounds: Wind chimes, bells, music
- Living Chi: Flowers, Plants, Birds, Fish
- Moving: Mobiles, Chimes, Fountains
- Heavy: Stone Sculptures, Furniture
- Mechanical: Computers, Stereos, TV
- Bamboo: flutes
- Color: Relates to each area on Baqua Map
WHERE TO BEGIN?
Choose a room to begin. An office, bedroom, or family room will do nicely. Stand in the main door and survey each of the 8 Life Areas as illustrated in the Baqua Map. Look for "flow-less" areas, dead, empty areas or cluttered areas. Remove blocks to energy (Chi) first by cleaning and un-cluttering. Then look for accents to help energy flow.
Leaded crystals are one of the most common, and easiest cures to apply. Lead crystals increase the balance of yang (the masculine energy of heat, life, summer, day, sun and fire) energy resulting in greater energy flow and life force.
Common places to hang crystals are:
- A long hall way with many doors where energy becomes "trapped". Hang the crystal from the ceiling half way down the hall to slow and disperse energy.
- When a door is directly in line with a bed, desk chair, or place you spend a lot of time. Hang the crystal between the door and bed/chair so Chi (energy) will slow down.
- When steps lead directly to a door. Place the crystal between the bottom steps and the door.
- Wherever you wish to create a greater and smoother energy flow. Placing a crystal in each window allows sunlight to pass through, activating the Chi (energy) in a gentle, yet powerful way.
Mirrors are another common cure, used to deflect something negative away from you or to reflect something positive into your environment.
Common uses of mirrors include:When a ceiling slants down above a bed or down on your head in the office, place a mirror face up with the intention of lifting the ceiling back up.
- When a room you spend time in is over a garage, place a mirror face down to reflect away the energy coming up from below.
By now, you have the idea. You want to open up closed areas and allow energy to flow easily. Experiment. If it feels good to you, it probably is! And most of all, have fun creating a room of well being.
Dr. Jill Henry, EdD, PT, APP is author of the new book by Llewellyn, Energy SourceBook – The Fundamentals of Personal Energy. She is founder, with her husband Charlie, of Mountain Valley Center metastore and the Otto Labyrinth Park in Otto, NC. She is webmaster for http://www.mountainvalleycenter.com , and practices CranioSacral and Polarity Therapies at Mountain Valley Center.