THE SOLAR PLEXUS CHAKRA AND OUR PERSONAL POWER
- The tip of the SOLAR PLEXUS chakra seats directly into the diaphragm between thoracic vertebra T12 and lumbar vertebrae L1. Called the Manipura (jewel) chakra, it represents mental or intellectual power, happiness and joy. Sometimes referred to as the yellow Christ ray of wisdom, this area is the key to expressing our personal power. Our actions become motivated by the inspiration of vision and reason and are performed with the qualities of patience and self-control.
- The GOAL of the third chakra is control over the body and mind. (Alex Jones, Seven Mansions of Color).
- CONNECTED with the solar plexus chakra are the color yellow, the note E, the sound RAM, the element Fire, and the planet Mercury
The solar plexus is associated with the stomach, liver, gall bladder, pancreas, spleen, and the nervous system. Caroline Myss in the Anatomy of Spirit refers to the navel as the chakra of personal power and lists the primary strengths of this energy as: self-esteem, self-respect, self-discipline, ambition, ability to generate action, ability to handle crisis, courage to take risks, generosity, ethics and strength of character. John Ruskin in Emotional Clearing identifies the primary feelings that indicate blocks in this chakra as: anger, aggressiveness, hostility, frustration, sense of worthlessness, inadequacy, helplessness, weakness, emptiness, feelings of being blocked, used, blamed, mistreated, and not getting the credit deserved.
- PSYCHOLOGICAL IMBALANCE in the naval chakra may manifest as worry, anxiety, and decreased mental sharpness.
- PHYSICAL IMBALANCE may manifest as digestive disorders, sinus and allergy problems, skin disorders and blood sugar disorders.
- BALANCED, the solar plexus chakra provides an increased force of will, warmth, and the male energy to manifest. Balancing the third chakra results in high creativity, great precision and analytical abilities, flexibility and adaptability to change, efficiency in planning and organizing work and effectiveness in problem solving.
The solar plexus chakra contains belief patterns we hold about ourselves. It is the chakra of the personality or ego. In this chakra we typically experience the world as either “good for me” or “bad for me”. Events and people who are good for me bring joy, those who are bad for me bring anger. The element fire rules this chakra, and the fire of the ego is often felt here.
Another issue in this chakra is the issue of power. Many baby boomers have shied away from the notion of power. Power represented the establishment and injustice. It is now time to claim our true power – the power of Christ to heal and change the world. This power is not from the ego, but from higher guidance and wisdom. With true personal power we become leaders and world servers and truly fulfill our missions here.
Below are some guidelines to assist you in developing an authentic personal power.
ACTIVITIES AND RITUALS
- Write your personal mission statement (using yellow legal paper, of course!) First determine 3 action verbs that describe what you do. Use power words such as “empower, serve, extend, promote?). Next list what these words apply to (healing, teaching, love, peace?). And finally state who you are going to be with when you are performing your mission (friends, government, business, groups?) Your mission statement must be bold enough to inspire you and broad enough to apply to all aspects of your life. After playing with words for months, I developed the following mission statement for myself. “My mission is to explore, facilitate, and advance well being in myself, in individuals, in groups and organizations.” This statement applies to my own inner explorations and to my public roles as a polarity therapist, a storekeeper, a meditation instructor, and a professional educational consultant. I use it as my daily focus. For more information about mission statements, read The Path by Laurie Beth Jones.
- Use the color yellow in your environment to stimulate your joy of living. Yellow is the color of intellect and is good in libraries and study rooms. A yellow wardrobe will fill you with feelings of joy and security. Eat yellow-skinned fruits and vegetables (corn, squash, lemons, bananas, pineapples, grapefruit, melons?).
- Listen to music in the key of E (not very common, I’ll admit), so try humming in the key of E.
- Chant the sacred word RAM out loud to bring power to your center.
- Play with gemstones, especially yellow citrine, amber, gold tiger’s eye, light smoky quartz and yellow jade. Place these stones in your pocket and each time you touch it, affirm your power to fulfill your mission and live your dreams. Sleep with a stone in your hand all night to allow your subconscious to affirm your willingness to accept genuine personal power in your life.
- Open up your power center by doing the following exercise adapted from Chi-Lel Chi Gong (see references). Sit and place your hands in front of you, with your middle fingers on your navel (belly button). Now gently open your hands while imagining that you are releasing any energy that is holding you back into the universe. After slowly releasing for several seconds, reverse the motion and draw fresh universal energy back into you. Use your hands and mind in this way to release and renew. You may spend several minutes or several hours doing this technique. You may also use this method to open and cleanse any chakra area by moving your hands to that area and repeating the process.
Our ability to make our way in this world, to be empowered to action, to reach our goals, lies in the solar plexus chakra. Misuse of this energy results in ego domination, and domination over others. You know when the power is being misused when actions are motivated by anger, jealously, and fear. When you feel “better than” everyone else or look down on other people. Correct use results in having the ability to effect change for the better in our lives and the lives around us. The feeling of power comes from deep within – a power to do right. We are all powerful. Most of us do not know it. Opening and clearing the energy of the solar plexus enables us to use our power for the highest good of all concerned.